Monday, May 23, 2016

Cars and Trucks and Things That Go!


Starting this post off with my old "Thing that go..." I've had a car ever since I was 16 and it was a little bitter sweet to be getting rid of it. I've never enjoyed driving except when it gave me the freedom when I was younger to go where I wanted not having to depend on someone else. Other than that it's utilitarian and would much rather have a chauffeur given the opportunity. I was glad my car went to this little 16 year old girl. Her mother sent me a video of her crying when she received it. 



This is me driving into New York in Tina's car after the two days it took to get up here permanently. It seems like a lifetime ago.


Here we get into my commute a little bit. I walk, then go subway, train, finally to a car and then vice versa on the way home. The subway above is called The Path and it goes in and out of New Jersey. It's not really like the New York subway in that it's newer and cleaner and for me (as I do a reverse commute) it's never really full. I took this pic of the old guy there a while back because old people in New York fascinate me. 


Here's what the real subway looks like. Granted this is on a Friday night...


Again from my commute post but shows the train I get to and from work every day on.


It amazes me how fast the trains move up here. And how close they let you get to them is so dangerous. I feel like they're going 90 mph and I could literally stick my hand out and touch it. Nothing guarding you from it. It scared me the first time one went by without stopping. Almost felt like the engineer had abandoned it or something.


This was a busy intersection by where I went to the dentist in midtown the other day.


I couldn't do this post and not show a taxi. Generally we try and use the subway and bus whenever possible because it's so much cheaper but sometimes we opt to just pay the $15-25 because we don't feel like putting up with the hassle and just want to get home :)



Just a couple of the crazy things you see up here. That red car only had one back wheel. 
Ahhhhh New York!













1 comment:

  1. You almost got a bananamobile! Richard Scarry probably lived in NYC when he wrote that book! I felt sure you were going to include the boats in The America's Cup since you just walked out your door and watched the race. One thing just jumps out reading your post and that is how much you love your new life in the city. It's a far cry from your little hometown and you always seemed drawn to the city life. It helps that you fell in love with a New Yorker who shares her love of the city with you and you never had to be a tourist there. Great photos that show the vibrancy of that busy place.

    ReplyDelete