Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bringing Home the Bacon

There are a few factors that go into how we get our groceries as well as options and locations. Main factors being convenience (which includes location) and cost.



Peapod.com is a grocery delivery service. Usually Tina starts an order and lets me know when she's done and then I'll go through and add a few things. We get the bulk of our groceries here as it's difficult to walk with one or two weeks worth of groceries and there are deals and whatnot and tends to be the cheapest option. It's takes forethought and planning though and you're unable to think of something last minute if you need it asap.


Second option is Blue Apron. Tina started this last year and got me on it in Atlanta. We've been doing it since I moved up here as well. Weekly box comes with fresh ingredients for three meals during the week. She's been great about cooking a couple during the week and I or we cook one on a weekend day if time permits. The meals have been really good even if the ingredients get a little redundant. It's nice knowing that you don't have to run out and get something you forgot as everything is included. Besides this she keeps things in the kitchen such as taco shells or pasta to do something when we don't have a ton of time to cook and clean.


Now we get into our grocery stores. Not sure how this happened but these go from largest to smallest and cheapest to most expensive the further you get away from our front door... This is Fulton Market. It's two whole blocks away. It's the furthest and as I mentioned the biggest and least expensive. The photo on the right shows the STAIRS!! Seriously, stairs in a grocery store. Any interior of a building with any size is going to have stairs or an elevator here. We may hit this market on a Sunday or something if we're on the tail end of a peapod order and haven't done a new order.


This is Jubilee Market Place. It's only a block away. It's smaller and a little more pricey but has a decent produce section. I'll run over here at night if I need stuff for smoothies.


This is Gristedes and it's a cross between a convenient store and a grocery store. It's just to the left right out our front door. It's a little expensive but if you have pasta boiling in the pot and need a jar of spaghetti sauce you can be back before the pasta is done. They have a decent deal on Gatorade I've been picking up there. I'll occasionally get beer here on the way home.


This is where I'll often get beer on the way home! ha! I don't know why but for some reason this pharmacy has the cheapest beer I've found however it's not cold. I guess refrigeration is expensive. 


Here's a map to where these things are in relation to our building.







2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is really good insight into your shopping. Thank Tina for the blue apron meals. I haven't ordered them yet, but I am looking forward to them this summer. It's crazy. I would love to shop for the day on the way home, but my commute will not allow it. I have to shop for weeks at a time. By then I forget what I thought I would cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, wow, Doug! You really put a lot of effort into showing us how your shop in NYC. SO interesting! Seems that you and Tina have it worked out. I just noticed the stairs. :) How do you get your buggy up and down those? Haha! Someone from up north laughed at us for calling a cart a buggy. So surprising that you can run down and grab something from the grocery while your pasta is boiling. I can't picture you being able to "run down" from the 45th floor of a high rise. Can't WAIT to get up there and know your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete